Center for Hellenic Studies (Washington D.C.), Harvard University
and International Olympic Academy
with the support of the Center for Hellenic Studies (Greece), Harvard University
CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION and
ASSUMPTION OF RISK, AND GENERAL RELEASE
THIS IS A RELEASE OF LEGAL RIGHTS – READ AND UNDERSTAND BEFORE SIGNING
I have chosen voluntarily to participate in the Annual Scholars’ Symposium 2020, entitled “Sports, Society, and Culture: Athletics, Education, and the Road to Olympia” (hereinafter: “the Symposium”), organized by the Center for Hellenic Studies in Washington D.C., Harvard University (“CHS Washington”) and the International Olympic Academy (“IOA”), with the support -administrative and logistical- of the Center for Hellenic Studies in Greece, Harvard University (CHS Greece), hereinafter as the “Organizers”. This agreement confirms my understanding of the following:
- Risks of International and/or Domestic Travel. I understand that participation in the Symposium involves risks not found in study within the country/location of my residence. These include, but are not limited to, risks involved in traveling to, from and within international and domestic locations; different political, legal, medical, social, and economic conditions; different standards of design, safety, and maintenance of buildings, public places, and conveyances; and local weather conditions. The country/location to which I will travel may have health and safety standards substantially below those enjoyed in my country/location of residence, and I recognize that I may be subjected to potential risks, illnesses, injuries, and even death. I have made my own investigation of these risks, understand these risks, and assume them knowingly and willingly.
I also acknowledge that in working, living, and traveling in the location of the Symposium, I may experience challenges associated with local living, such as lower standards of living, health standards that are not equivalent to life in my country/location of residence, etc. I further understand that my living arrangements may involve: long commuting distances between accommodations and classes; lack of privacy in accommodations; restrictions on heating and/or water usage; lack of air conditioning; lack of a smoke-free environment; lack of easy access or no access to word processing and/or electronic mail; and/or unfamiliar food.
I recognize that my day-to-day choices and behaviors can have a major impact on my health and safety during my participation in the Symposium and I will take every precaution to safeguard my health and to protect my personal belongings from damage or theft. I acknowledge that the Organizers recommend that I never travel or walk alone, particularly at night. Being alone, especially at night, may present additional danger to my safety and well-being.
I understand that, although the Organizers have organized the Symposium in the best possible way, they cannot eliminate all risks or guarantee my safety. I have read and understood my country/location of residence relevant Information about the country/location to which I am traveling and have made the independent judgment to participate in the Symposium.
I finally recognize that the Organizers bear no responsibility for any damage (material damage, accident, etc.) that may happen to me for the duration of the Symposium in or out the CHS Washington, DC, premises (including periods in transit to or from my destination).
- Independent Travel. I agree to use the transportation provided by the Symposium for the duration of the Symposium. I take full responsibility for travel both to and from the Symposium location with the transportation offered or recommended by the Organizers, and for any independent travel before the start of the Symposium or following its close. I understand that the Organizers may limit or restrict entirely independent travel during the Symposium, and agree that, if I wish to travel independently during the Symposium, I must submit an itinerary to the coordinators of the Symposium for advance approval. I recognize, however, that approval by the coordinators does not mean that the itinerary or destination(s) are safe and agree that I will assume all risks of any such independent travel, excluding any claim against the Organizers for any damage that may happen to me.
- Expenses. I understand that I will be responsible for all costs of the Symposium beyond those covered by the Organizers (Athens to Washington, DC, international travel and back to Athens, including intermediate stops to other locations | transportation from Dulles International Airport or Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport to CHS Washington, DC, campus upon my arrival and back on the day of my departure | daily transportation from the hotel to CHS Washington, DC, campus and back to the hotel | accommodation in double or triple bed rooms | breakfasts and lunches during the days of the Symposium), as well as any additional expenses that I may incur during the Symposium.
- Standards of Conduct. I recognize that I have an important personal obligation to conduct myself in a manner compatible with local laws and regulations. I will become informed of, and will abide by, all such laws, regulations, standards and policies, including without limitation those involving the use and sale of drugs and alcohol, and promise to act responsibly and with respect for persons and property. I will participate fully in all Symposium’s components, and will refrain from conduct that is improper, offensive, or otherwise inappropriate for the Symposium and/or for study in a cross-cultural academic environment generally, or that is potentially detrimental to my own or others’ health or safety. Examples of such conduct include, but are not limited to, disorderly behavior, sexual harassment or misconduct, the use of drugs, or excessive alcohol consumption. I understand that if at any time during the duration of the Symposium I fail to honor this agreement, then the Organizers may, in their sole discretion, immediately dismiss or withdraw me from the Symposium, or place me on probation for the remainder of the Symposium.
- Risks of Particular Activities. I agree not to engage in activities deemed by the Organizers or commonly understood to be dangerous to individual safety and/or Symposium integrity. These include, but are not limited to, motorcycling, hitchhiking, driving or renting a car, parachuting, bungee-jumping, hang-gliding, riding in private airplanes, rock climbing, white water rafting, scuba diving, and any other activity so designated by the Symposium. I understand that the Organizers hold no responsibility related to my participation in relevant activities and if I am unsure whether a particular activity is prohibited, I understand that I must discuss the activity with the Symposium coordinators and obtain advance approval before taking any steps to engage in that activity. I recognize, however, that approval by the Symposium coordinators does not mean that the activity is safe, and agree that I will assume all risks of engaging in any such activity excluding any claim against the Organizers of the Symposium for any damage that may happen to me.
- Health Insurance; Medical Care; Other Emergencies. During my participation in the Symposium, I will carry valid and current medical insurance and have a valid insurance identity card to bring. I have reviewed my coverage and have determined that this insurance is adequate to cover injuries or illnesses that I may sustain while traveling abroad or domestically. I will be solely responsible for payment in full of all costs of medical care I may receive.
I authorize the Organizers to obtain appropriate health care for me in the event that I need it, but I am unable to obtain it for myself. However, I accept that the Organizers have no responsibility for the appropriateness/effectiveness of the response actions. I also understand and agree that if I experience serious health problems, suffer an injury, or am otherwise in a situation that raises significant health and safety concerns, then the Organizers may contact my parents or any other person whose name I have provided as my “emergency contact.”
- Trip Arrangements. I understand and agree to travel from Athens to Washington, DC, USA, and then back to Athens with the flights organized by the Organizers, and I understand that the Organizers do not represent or act as an agent for, and cannot control the acts or omissions of, any airlines, transportation carrier, hotel, tour organizer, or other provider of food, goods, or services involved in the Symposium. I understand that in the event of my selection and not prior to it, in order to proceed with the flight arrangement and to be eligible to visit the United States of America, I will be asked by the Organizers to have or to possess a valid passport and approved ESTA (Travel Authorization) in the time framework that will be indicated to me by the Organizers. I understand that the Organizers are not responsible for matters that are beyond their control, and that it cannot warrant the safety or convenience of the circumstances under which I will be living or working during the Symposium.
- Schedule. I understand that, in addition to being withdrawn from the Symposium under circumstances set forth elsewhere in this document, I also may be withdrawn if I leave the Symposium at any time without prior authorization from the Symposium coordinators.
- Accommodation. The Organizers offer the accommodation to the participants of the Symposium free of charge. I understand that I will be staying in the double or triple-bed apartments of the CHS premises in Washington, DC, or in double or triple-bed hotel room, and that I will be sharing the room with 1 or more participants of the Symposium. I also fully understand that I will respect my roommate or roommates, as well as the room, and the premises of the CHS Washington in general. I will not undertake actions that deform them, and I will leave them in perfect condition upon the completion of the Symposium, being liable for compensation for any damage or deterioration that may be caused by my intent or negligence. Additionally, I agree to show a spirit of collaboration towards CHS and IOA staff.
- Meals. During the Symposium, the Organizers offer one meal (lunch) to the participants of the Symposium free of charge. I understand that if I decide to have lunch outside the CHS Washington, DC, premises, the Organizers have no obligation in relation to the cost of those meals. I also understand that the Organizers do not offer dinners or any other meals during the Symposium, except the aforementioned ones. I understand that I will be solely responsible for any additional expenses related to meals and/or other incidentals that I may incur during the Symposium.
- General Release. Knowing the risks described above, I agree, on behalf of my family, heirs, assigns and personal representative(s), to assume all the risks and responsibilities surrounding my participation in the Symposium. I also agree that in the event of any damage (material damage, accidents etc.) or liability (civil, criminal, administrative), which may be caused to third parties by me, or as a result of any violation in relation to the authorities due to non-adherence to its obligations set out in the Law, only me shall be obliged to restore such damage, as well as to pay the relevant compensation, monetary fines, penalties etc. toward the injured party, without the Organizers bearing any responsibility whatsoever, as well as toward the Organizers.
I certify that I am age 18 or older. I have carefully read and freely signed this Condition of Participation and Assumption of Risk, and General Release Form. I understand and agree that no oral or written representations can or will alter the contents of this document.